Saturday, October 18, 2008

I Want Another Tattoo

I would like to get another tattoo. I have one that I had done in 1985 while living in London, England while in the navy. It is about 4 inches on my left forearm - a phoenix. No, I wasn't drunk and it wasn't in the middle of the night. It was about 1030 on a Saturday morning and I had been planning on getting one for quite some time.

Now 23 years I am ready for another one. Not just a small one though. I want my entire left arm from shoulder to wrist. That's right, a full sleeve. Why would I want to do that you say??

I have been very fortunate to live a wonderful, exciting, adventuresome and overall great life. My dad was a career air force man which meant we moved around a lot. I spent the biggest part of my childhood in Europe then all over the U.S. When I was 20 I joined the navy and saw even more of the world. I have been from Alaska to Australia, from Europe to Africa, from Singapore to Seattle and everywhere in between. In fact the only place I haven't been is South America.

I have seen a lot and done a lot and have been a lot of places. I want to somehow document my life in pictures with tattoo art. I want my arm divided into three sections. The lower section from forearm to wrist I want to document my childhood in Germany and Italy with scenes such as castles and the colosseum. From just above my elbow to my forearm will be time in the navy with a ship, dragon, sunset etc... From my shoulder down would be a portrait of my family; my wonderful wife and two great kids.

Overlaying the entire thing would be a black ribbon starting at my wrist and wrapping around and around my arm up to my shoulder. On that black ribbon would the be names of all the places I have been. At last count 48 countries. I will be 49 next month and have had a great life. Maybe I will use my right arm for the next 50 or so years.

Do you think I am crazy???

No comments: