Thursday, May 29, 2008

Childhood Home In Germany - Google Earth Pics

I grew up as a military brat. My father was a career man in the U.S. Air Force. What a great life. I wouldn't trade that childhood for anything. I was able to live in Europe for almost 10 years and and 6 different places in the U.S. I went to 14 schools in 12 years....... Anyway... I was looking around on Google Earth and decided to try and locate my home in Germany. I was there from 1st grade through 5th. We lived in a small town called Rodalben and I went to school on the American Army Post at Pirmasens. The school was Pirmasens Elementary School. The base has since closed and in the years after 1969 when I left they added a high school. Anyway, here are three Google Earth photos. The first is a regional shot of both Pirmansens and Rodalben, then one of my house in Rodalben and the third is the school I attended. Go Spartans !!!!






5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to Pirmasens Elementary School from ~1965 to ~1970, from roughly Kindergarten through the middle of 5th grade. One of the things I remember the most was the walk to school from my building on Dearborn Avenue to the school during the winter. There were several hills that were very hard to negotiate when they were slippery with snow and ice. Growing up there was a great experience.

Anonymous said...

I went to school there at the same time. 65-70 in first through fifth grade. Please email me at eeko@newwavecomm.com. We could very well know one another. Did you have a teacher in the fourth named Ms. Rappell with firey red hair????

Unknown said...

My daughtter went to Kindergarten in September 1966 in Pirmasens. We lived on Base.

Linda B.

Bamagal62 said...

I attended the Little Red Schoolhouse (second half) Kindergarten and then my 1st half of first grade at Pirmensans Elem. My Dad was based at Dahn. I remember seeing pictures of caves for his office. We used to go to a pool, to attend swim lessons... I remember at the age 6 singing, 99 beers on the wall.. I remember walking to Elem school and that it was on the same street as our bldg. We were in the last bldg on that street. With a Huge hill behind us.. we would either roll down the hill in boxes or sled down the hill in the winter. The fence to offbase was at the end of the hill. We hit that fence almost every time. Lol! Good times

Bamagal62 said...

1968-69